Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tarzan of the Apes

I've never read a Tarzan book. I used to watch some of the movies on TV. They used to show them on Saturdays in the afternoon, black and white adventures in which Tarzan did all the great things he's known for. Lots of swinging, Cheetah noises, Boy, Jane. And I seem to remember a lot of swimming, and underwater fights where Tarzan could hold his breath and fight for maybe five, six minutes.

Today I was at a thrift store and got an old hardback book of the book simply called "Tarzan of the Apes." It lists some of the other Tarzan titles in the series, so it can't be a first edition, unless Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote five or six books and then published them. Doubtful.

It's not in very good condition, the binding is askew and there's some splitting at the back hinge, and various other problems. But 1914, a kid's book, it's a good one to find. Really, I'm kind of glad it's beat because I don't have the same motivation to sell it or treat it like a great collectible. Maybe I'll just lay in bed and read a little bit every night and dream of adventures out in the jungle with the original swinger.

No comments: