Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Major Ipod Incident Today

I had a major iPod incident today, and it was all my fault.

A couple days ago I was deleting files on my computer, trying to free up space and also do various things to make it work faster. I deleted the various iTunes files in the My Music folder, and it never occurred to me that would be a mistake. Since I keep my tracks on an external hard drive, my assumption was everything was kept track of there.

When I say it never occurred to me it would be a mistake, that's true. I never gave it a second thought till today when I opened iTunes and it didn't have a library of tracks. At first I thought there must be something wrong with iTunes, so I closed it and reopened it to the same thing. Then it suddenly came to my mind ... do you suppose those files I deleted were important?

Yes, they were.

At this point I didn't know what to do except start over. So I did just that. Erased everything. Fortunately I have the original tracks in a separate folder, so I reimported what I felt like having on the iPod now. It takes some time.

It looks like there would've been better ways to do it. Now that I've looked around at the other options. But I didn't notice those, so I stumbled around the best I could. In short, I lost everything except my original tracks. But now I'm back in the game. I have over 1,000 tracks restored on it.

No comments: