Sunday, January 10, 2010

Exercising My Memory

Like I said on one of my blogs last night, I'm watching the movie "Clambake," starring Elvis Presley.

And last night, one of the scenes that was coming up, that I was looking forward to, features the guy who played The Great Gildersleeve on radio many years ago. I can't think of the guy's name in real life. I'm trying to think of it right now.

I know of course that I could easily look it up on the internet, and I'd have it in about 10 seconds. But I'm trying to exercise my actual memory, because I know I have it there (1), and also because just looking everything up on the internet is very lazy, and eventually my memory is going to be mush if I don't use it.

What could it be? The guy's name? Uhhh, how do you remember anything? I'm thinking ... something Alexander. Doesn't sound exactly right. Going through the various phonetic sounds in my mind. Need to quit typing for a little bit and clear my mind. What is his name? I've got the "G"s of Great Gildersleeve in my mind, but that's a false path. It's ...  if I could just think of the first name, the last name would pop in. And vice versa. I felt like I was close, but nothing. Don something? Think "xxxxxxxxx as the Great Gildersleeve!"

I'm not coming up with it. That's what the internet has done to my mind. Made it mush. Keep thinking!

Don is just giving me Ameche, and of course that's not it. Harry? Frank? No, no. Boy, I don't feel at all close. It wasn't a show I listened to originally, since I wasn't even born. But I heard numerous episodes in the '80s when they played it on the radio in the town I lived in at the time.

This is terrible. I should be on the right track at least by now. Quit worrying. Let your mind go blank for a bit. It is -- what? It's not Fred something. Travis? I'll run through the alphabet. A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P (Peevey was a character); Perry sounds like maybe what it was. Something Perry. Q, R, S, , U, V, W, X, Y, Z. It has to be one of those! Perry is the closest I'm coming, I'm afraid.

OK, I'm looking it up on the internet. Here I go. Then I'll think I should've thought of it!

Well, I was close. His name was Harold Peary. Close to Perry. And I was actually thinking Hugh Perry, but I dismissed that.

Even though I couldn't remember it, I came halfway close. And at least I can go to bed tonight not driven crazy about it. Thank goodness for the internet!

No comments: