Friday, January 01, 2010

My Time At The KU Women's Basketball Game


I was in Lawrence, KS, the other day, and had the opportunity to go to the University of Kansas women's basketball game at Allen Field House. It was very fun. I'm not a big sports guy, but there are rare cases where I have the opportunity to go to something. In this case, I accepted the opportunity, and it was fun.

I honestly hadn't been to a basketball game (or anything) for over 10 years, that I recall. I'll probably think of something and have to backtrack, but at this point I can't think of one.

I learned a few things I didn't know. I did know that James Naismith was the inventor of basketball. But I didn't know anything about Phog Allen, so that was interesting. He was, I think, a student who played basketball for Naismith, then became a coach himself, and went on to be legendary, the winningest coach.

We watched the game, which was great. They played Pepperdine, and didn't have much trouble with them. I think they won 82-63.

As interesting as the game was watching everything else going on. I loved the cheerleaders and the KU dance team, part of whom are seen in the photo. They did a lot of interesting things, little dance routines during time outs. And looked good.

They had a halftime program, two guys and a young woman, all from Canada, who were like gymnasts. the men held a big pliable beam and flipped the woman up in the air, and she always came down on the beam, and didn't fall. Very impressive.

They had an interesting crowd control system. There's some guys (and women) in orange vests who go down by the court every time there's a time out, watching the crowd to make sure we're not running on the court. And the coaches have police protection, university police. I don't know why precisely, unless people occasionally attack coaches out of some kind of anger for a bad call or to show up the other team. There weren't any attacks this particular day. And I saw one of the cops yawn, so he might've appreciated a little action.

After the game we went through the Hall of Fame. I saw a lot of historic artifacts about sports at Kansas.

All in all, it was a lovely time. I liked Allen Field House and everything about the University of Kansas sports department.

No comments: