Sunday, January 25, 2009

Aeon Flux

One of the Blu-ray discs I bought, and the only one that was an actual movie, was Aeon Flux. This is a movie that I had never heard of, which is not surprising since I'm not a film buff at all. Since getting it, I learn that it is based on an MTV cartoon series from a few years ago. In addition, I learn that everyone else has heard of it and has an opinion on whether the movie had any business going where the cartoon went. It appears it was something of a beloved cartoon series and people have actual feelings about it.

Where do I get all this information? The various Amazon reviews that experts in that field write. Look up any movie and there's someone who knows it all.

As I said, though, Aeon Flux was a completely new title for me. But I needed a few discs, it was in the cheaper range, $14.95, had an appealing cover, looked like it might be visually compelling, and so forth. Then I came home and looked at the reviews and it was in the 2 to 3 star range, not getting rave reviews.

But this is where it helps not to be a film buff. I watched it with very fresh eyes. I haven't seen a thousand sci fi films, I have very little to compare it to. I never saw the MTV cartoon so I don't care how it measures up to it. I'm just happy to see it ... if I don't have to watch a lot of very gruesome violence and medically uncomfortable situations. There was some, but the violence wasn't really so terrible, just a lot of swift kicking and mowing down people with guns. Faceless and for the most part at a distance, so what do I care? As far as medical scenes, Aeon Flux removes some bullets with her fingers, so that was a little painful.

My verdict, I loved the movie. I thought it was a very nice experience. The pictures were crystal clear, the pacing was fast, the actors seemed like they were into it, the colors were nice, and for me everything was good. I even watched all the extras, the making of it, the wardrobe, the stunts, all that stuff. Very interesting.

I recommend it. 5 stars on my scale.

No comments: