Sunday, May 03, 2009

Encarta

Here's a good article on the Encarta encyclopedia software. They're discontinuing it as a product.

I guess I never realized it was so expensive at one time, in the $395 range. Or maybe thousands. But eventually it was down in the $22.00 range. Of course the problem with an encyclopedia on CD-ROM is that it's hard for one tiny disc to compete with the entire internet.

I used to have a version of this -- I think it was. But I got it at a garage sale or thrift store, somewhere like that, and definitely a lot cheaper. I looked up several things on it but by then in my life I didn't have a lot of reason to be looking up articles in encyclopedias. I could have used it in 4th grade though!

I remember some of the audio clips. And I had one (maybe the same one) that had some video clips, including JFK's famous quote at the inaugural, that kind of stuff.

Anyway, another famous thing from the '90s bites the dust.

No comments: