Sunday, March 01, 2009

Another Month Gone

Another month of everyone's life is gone. February is now in the history books, in a manner of speaking. We press on with March, hoping to make something of it, so that when we get to the end of it, we can look back and say, "Hey, we did it."

For February, I can look back and say, "Hey, I did it." More or less. It was a good month, as months go. Every day is another day. I get up, do my various oblations and duties, then go to bed at the end of it. I believe I can say I pressed on, put up a good fight, struggled against the forces of darkness, yielded only seldomly, and now can be satisfied. All this happens with or without you anyway so you may as well do your best.

It's a sad thing to start off the day with Paul Harvey dying. I was never a listener of his in any intentional way. I just generally don't listen to the radio, period, so how could I be? I listen once in a while to XM, one of the music channels, never to the talk shows or news shows. But I've heard him, like when I'm at stores I'll hear him doing his trademark delivery. The AP called it a "staccato style." He definitely had a distinctive tone. It was a mixture of news, oddball stuff, and opinion, and advertising. I don't know what he advertised, but I'm thinking it was medical stuff and gadgets. Salve or something.

Paul Harvey was 90 years old.

Someday when I'm 90 (let's say it happens), I will have retired long before that. But Mr. Harvey must have loved doing his show and pleasing his fans. Seemed like a nice guy.

No comments: