Saturday, June 06, 2009

D-Day

So it's D-Day, the 65th anniversary. Wow.

(I was a veteran of D-Day, but a different one. That's what we called it in my family the day they handed out report cards.)

I was just trying to read a little about the World War II D-Day in a book when it was told to me that we needed to go to the store and get something for lunch. That's not good. I'm trying to learn about D-Day and I need to quit just to go to the store. What if Ike had said, We're not going for it because we need to make pork burgers instead?

A few years ago I read the book "The Longest Day," I think by Cornelius Ryan. That was exciting. And I remember touring Eisenhower's museum and seeing the small little figures they were going to parachute somewhere else, Calais maybe. And over the years I've seen things about D-Day on the History Channel. That's probably what they have on today. But, again, I have domestic chores to take care of and will miss it.

Hitler was a very bad cat, I think we can all agree on that. He wasn't like Saddam Hussein, regardless of the malarkey the Republicans were spewing a few years ago, although they said it the other way around. Hitler had an army, navy, and air force that could actually do things. We didn't go in there and have him fall flat to the ground in three seconds like happened with Hussein. To win the war against Hitler, like the free world did, was an amazing thing.

It's sad that the WWII vets are getting old and dying off at a terrible rate everyday. But that's in the nature of flesh and time. It's going to happen to all of us. The thing to do on these anniversaries, and anytime we have the opportunity through the year, is to honor what they did.

No comments: