Wednesday, June 04, 2008

A Book, Literature Group Blog

Link to "Buried in the Book."

It looks like the big project underway is the reading of Don Quixote. How many pages you need to read in a day to get it done in a certain amount of time. What you might like about the book, what you might not like.

I've got a few editions of Don Quixote, a couple paperback ones, which I know are different from one another. And the Modern Library giant edition. And just the other day at Goodwill I saw an edition, a reprint of course, which is the Tobias Smollett translation from the 1700s.

It's been several years, but I enjoyed a large part of this book. There are pitfalls, though, as far as I'm concerned. Like where there are stories within the story. It seems to me kind of a nasty detour away from the main story. And that's where I got bogged down.

The blog mentioned here isn't just about Don Quixote. There's a current reading list that has several old classics. Check it out, or I'll have a mournful countenance.

No comments: