Friday, July 11, 2008

Not an Honest Mistake

John McCain has been caught in an obvious lie and is trying to dismiss it as "an honest mistake." That in itself is a lie.

He was in Pittsburgh Steelers territory and told the touching story of his time in Vietnam. "When I was first interrogated and really had to give some information because of the pressures, physical pressures on me, I named the starting lineup, defensive line of the Pittsburgh Steelers as my squadron mates."

The only problem with that anecdote is that when he recounted it in his book, Faith of My Fathers, he said, "Pressed for more useful information, I gave the names of the Green Bay Packers' offensive line, and said they were members of my squadron."

So was it the Pittsburgh Steelers defensive line or the Green Bay Packers' offensive line?

There's no good out for McCain on this one except to call it a "mistake" and move on. Was he confused? Is he having false memories? No, this is something the dumbest guy in the world can understand as an obvious lie. He's sucking up to the locals by claiming their team as his own.

No comments: